Call for proposals to host the Sixth UK Ontology Network in 2017
We seek proposals to host the sixth in the series of the UK Ontology Network. Following an initial meeting at the Open University, we have now had five successful, lively events that have brought together people working in the area of ontology and related subjects. Participants have come from academia, business, the public sector and government. We want proposals that will make the sixth UKON a magnet for people working in the area of ontology in the UK (and beyond) to gather, exchange news and views and, of course, network.
Proposals should be short (max one side of A4 in an 11 point typeface). The proposal to host UKON 2017 should include:
- A description of the host organisation and their capacity to hold a meeting of up to 100 people.
- How the hosts will attract a broad range of participants, field of interest, business, academia, public sector, funders, etc.
- Proposed dates that will enable as broad a range of people to attend.
- How easy it is to get to the host location.
- A funding model.
- How the day will be made fun, lively and informative.
- A commitment to work with the steering committee for UKON to guide future activity of the network
Send your proposals to host UKON 2017 to <email@example.com> by 15th November 2016.
Proposals will be read by the UKON Steering Committee. The UKON steering committee will read the proposals, ranks them against the criteria above, make a decision and then communicate to all proposers by 15th December. This Committee are some of the chairs of the previous UKON meetings:
- Alan Bundy
- Vania Dimitrova
- Phil Lord
- Fiona McNeill
- James Malone
- Goksel Misirli
- Monika Solanki
- Robert Stevens
- Dhaval Thakker
- Jennifer Warrender
The Fifth UK Ontology Network meeting (#ukon2016) will take place on Thursday April 14th, 2016
at Newcastle University
, Newcastle upon Tyne. The aims of this meeting are as follows:
- To enable dissemination of ontology relevant work from across multiple disciplines
- To encourage collaboration and cooperation between different members of UK organisations working in this area
- To help establish a research agenda in ontology and better communication with funding councils and industry needs
The full programme is now available. There will be 36 talks, with plenty of opportunities for networking.
There will be an informal gathering on the evening of April 13th for those coming before hand. The gathering will start at 17:30pm on April 13th and will take place at The Bridge Tavern, 7 Akenside Hill, Newcastle, NE1 3UF.
Topics of Interest
We encourage attendance from those working in both public and private sector, academic and industrial, research and applied work and from across all fields including, but not limited to:
- Geographic Information
- Semantic Technology
- Data Integration
- Health and Biology
- Miriam Dowle - The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Dan Gordon - Great North Museum: Hancock
|19th February, 2016
||: Deadline for submissions
| 4th March, 2016
||: Deadline for notifications
|14th April, 2016
||: Workshop day